Friday, August 31, 2012


Hello!  I decided to begin this blog both as a motivation for me to keep writing, and also as a way to share my writing with others. As for WHAT I would write about, I left that up to whatever inspiration I received.
I didn't anticipate that the next thing I would write would be a homily. I offered to celebrate a Sunday mass while I was visiting Our Lady of Guadalupe in Houston, and this homily is the result.

When I looked at the readings for this Sunday, I was struck by the infamous second reading where Paul, among other things, tells wives to be submissive to their husbands. This passage is so offensive to some people that the bishops gave us the option of skipping over it completely. I don't choose to do that. We have been given the scriptures, and we need to accept them and be confronted by them as they are. By that I do not mean only literally, but in the fullness of their meaning.
I developed this homily for a very specific congregation, most of whom are very traditional and do not question the literal meaning of the text. In a ten minute homily, it was not possible or advisable to do so. But it brought up a lot of questions for me, which I will have to respond to at another time. So here it is.
Please -- respond to the blog!  I've been told that is the main reason to have one -- to have interaction with people. It's going to be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment